Winter Salad with Baked Goats Cheese
What is the best cure for a busy week? For many, it’s stepping into the kitchen and preparing a beautiful meal, with a trusty Wüsthof knife in hand. This healthy winter salad recipe is inspiring us to do just that – a hearty mix of beetroot, citrus, fresh leaves and goat’s cheese.
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: ± 35 minutes
2 small beetroot
200g mixed leaves – watercress, parsley, rocket and frisée
100g baby chard
200g goat’s cheese
4 stalks thyme
1 tbsp red peppercorns, pounded in a pestle and mortar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp raspberry vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
4 tbsp olive oil
1. Boil a pot of water, add the beetroot and cook for about 30 minutes. Let the beetroot cool and then peel them and slice thinly.
2. Peel the orange and grapefruit carefully, making sure to remove all of the pith. Cut the orange into slices and the grapefruit into segments.
3. Preheat the oven to 230°C. Rinse the mixed leaves and baby chard and allow them to drip dry. Slice the goat’s cheese (approximately 3cm thick) and place onto a lined baking tray.
4. Rinse the thyme, shake dry and remove the leaves from the stems. Spread the thyme, red peppercorns and honey over the goat’s cheese. Bake the goat’s cheese for about 4 minutes.
5. While the cheese is baking, mix together the raspberry vinegar, mustard and olive oil. Season well.
6. Lastly, pour the dressing over the greens. Arrange the salad on plates along with the orange slices, grapefruit segments, sliced beetroot and the baked goat’s cheese. A handful of roasted walnuts adds a nice crunch too.
Feeds 4 people
Recipe by FOODBOOM.